Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Down to the Bitter End

I'm down to one week left in Vietnam, and I've been fully embracing the lifestyle of a degenerate since returning from my bike ride last Wednesday. Hence the intermittent blog posts. I'm done working so I don't have any daily responsibilities, though I have tried to keep my gym routine up...with mixed results. In the past five days I've stayed out until the sun came up twice. In a way I guess I'm getting all of this out of my system while I still can - I have a lot of freedom here, as all I have to care about is my own personal welfare. Once I return home next week I'll have to be more mature, and obviously I can't afford nights like that in the U.S. anyway. A couple of weeks ago I felt fine about leaving, but now I want to stay. A sticky family situation awaits, and a few times recently I've nearly broken down crying over seemingly minor things...and I'm not a crier. Fortunately I have a packed social schedule over the next seven days, so that will help keep my mind occupied. Hopefully I won't burn the candle at both ends too hard. (Though the enforced mourning period for the death of General Giap this Saturday and Sunday has ruined some plans. It's funny that the government has chosen to honor his passing by canceling all entertainment events, as usually a death here is followed by three days of karaoke and loud music played through the night, no matter how annoyed the neighbors are.)

One good thing is that I feel like I haven't missed much in Vietnam, or Saigon. People keep asking if there's anything I feel like I have to do before I leave, and honestly the answer is no. I'm going to eat a lot of cheap Vietnamese food (and Instagram a lot of it) and hang out with the people I need to hang out with, but I've been to just about everywhere I wanted to go (though some more time in the northwest would be great), and I've explored Saigon to a far greater extent than most people I know. I've traveled to something like 25 of the country's 58 provinces and 44 towns or cities. Not too shabby. Still, that doesn't mean it will be any easier to leave.

To finish this post on a more positive note, check out this amazing time-lapse video shot in Saigon.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you should just stay then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand KV's sentiments, but I think that change is good at least to give momentary perspective. I was seriously considering staying in Japan for a while, but eventually realized that it was time to try Something New. Sure enough, I made the right call and I'm sure you have too. Either way, it's not as if the country is going to go away anytime soon.

    Enjoy your last few nights!

    ReplyDelete