Thursday, September 26, 2013

Unfinished Business

Those of you who have read this blog for a while should know that I have one piece of unfinished business left with Vietnam. In February of last year and this April I took part in H2H, an annual month-long charity bicycle ride from Hanoi to HCMC. Both times I came up lame just past Buon Ma Thuot, in the Central Highlands, right after a rest day there, with my quads badly strained. Both times I ended up in a support van for the final five days of the ride, even though I was one of the fittest riders. This left me understandably pissed, and I've been hoping to get another crack at that final 440 km (275 mile) stretch ever since the rides ended. Tomorrow, I start to get my revenge.

I'm flying up to Buon Ma Thuot with a friend and our bikes to ride the last five H2H days, though this time we will have no support vans, and no mechanical help with our bikes. Knock on wood there won't be any issues, but if anything comes up hopefully the bike knowledge I've accrued over the past two years will be enough to get us out of any tough spots. I got a rack installed on my bike yesterday, and I'll be riding with panniers for the first time. This added weight will make the hills tougher, but I still can't wait to finally conquer this last leg of the H2H route. I expect to roll up to the Reunification Palace next Wednesday tan and filthy, but with a huge smile on my face.
One last big adventure before I leave.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck and kick some ass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motorbike is the only way to go. Cycling does get you fit though. You must get a real pulsating "cyclist's high" after some of these treks..

    ReplyDelete